Vitiligo is a rare auto-immune disorder which causes white patches to appear on the sufferer’s skin. These patches are due to the de-pigmentation of Melanin, which gives our skin its colour. There is no succinct and concrete Leucoderma treatment in India or any other country for that matter. Leucoderma is another name for Vitiligo that literally means ‘white skin.’
Since there are no consensual treatment options, people often have to suffer silently. Besides, the society is filled with innuendo and unsubstantiated rumors surrounding Vitiligo because it looks ungainly. The heartening news is that more people are now increasingly becoming aware of how to cure Vitiligo. The flip side: there still remains a lot unsaid about Vitiligo.
For example, did you know that Vitiligo has more than one type? It has 2 types and 3 additional sub types. There exist several different symptoms to separate these types in varying categories. Here are several relevant details about these varieties which will make you more aware of Vitiligo treatment.
Categorization based on age
Vitiligo is always genetic anomaly at play, but it does not afflict everyone equally. There are 2 major types of Vitiligo, non-segmental and segmental Vitiligo, where the first type is most commonly observed.
- Non-segmental Vitiligo: This is the classical Vitiligo that has been recorded even in antiquity. It may or may not appear when one is young, but once it starts, it continues for life. Gradual loss of pigmentation is observed with hallmark symptoms like patches on forearms and both sides of the body. It is a textbook example of this disorder which requires those stricken to seek Vitiligo treatment all their life.
- Segmental Vitiligo: Segmental Vitiligo is less-known, and usually affects young persons. De-pigmentation is rapid and the onset period is usually a year or two before the symptoms start dying out. In this type, Vitiligo exists on only one side of the body; hence, the term ‘segmental.’ People looking to cure Vitiligo of this type must seek both cosmetic and medical advice since there is no further spurt of de-pigmentation.
Categorization based on the area affected
These are three known sub types that need Leucoderma treatment in India extensively.
- Localized: Localized Vitiligo happens when the spread of white patches are limited to only a single area of a patient’s body.
- Generalized: Generalized Vitiligo involves the rapid spread of de-pigmentation all over the body. It is rather uncommon in tropical and sub-tropical countries. However, this type is common in Europe.
- Universal: An extremely rare form, universal Vitiligo is the reason when most of the body’s pigmentation is gone. In many senses, it is similar to Albinism, but with different underlying causes.
All these types require extensive Vitiligo treatment.
A word on nomenclature
Several physicians and researchers do not believe in differentiating various types of Vitiligo. They believe these are merely varying manifestations of the ailment and are not clinically different per se. Nevertheless, Vitiligo treatment is something that requires almost similar approaches, both cosmetic and medical, regardless of type and sub type.
If you know someone who suffers from Vitiligo, reassure them that there are treatment resources available nowadays. Treat them with respect and not fear. It helps a lot in the long run for the society at large.